Anonymous Alumnus A – Letters 18 and 19

W&L Anonymous Alum A Letter 18_Redacted

Letter 18

W&L Anonymous Alum A Letter 19_Redacted

Letter 19

Letter 18 Transcription:

June 1, 1984
Dear [Anonymous Alumnus A],

Thank you for your thoughtful letter about co-education at our alma mater. It is one of the very few in the deluge of mail I have received which is in favor of co-education.

The enclosed copy of my letter [Letter 19] to Mr. Ballengee and other trustees expresses my present position.

I was a member of the Board of Trustees when you were a student, but was retired in 1973.

Sincerely yours,
[Redacted]

Letter 19 addresses James Ballengee, the rector of the Board of Trustees. This Trustee Emeritus suggests that the board should consider postponing taking any action on the coeducation decision.

He expresses three choices that he believes the Board has:

1) “To reject coeducation, realizing of course that it could be brought up again in the future,”

2) “To adopt coeducation, an action which, [he is] convinced, would be irrevocable,”

3) “Delay action”

He writes, “I favor the third alternative, partly because, even with all the evidence at hand, I am not sure we yet know enough to resolve the complex problem. However, my primary reason for advocating delay is the difficulty of reaching a responsible decision in a highly-charged emotional atmosphere and under the pressure of a deadline.”